Adriana Zaleska-Medynska’s research team has been involved in both basic and applied research. Basic research has been mainly focused on preparation and characterization of novel types of nanomaterials, including better understanding of mechanism of formation of nanostructures, as well as, on correlation of their surface properties with some useful features (eg. photocatalytic, antibacterial and antifungal properties). In the last years research activity was expanded to combine experimental chemistry with theoretical computation, solid state physics, to combine nanomaterials with biomolecule and to apply ionic liquids to obtain novel nanomaterials. Those allowed for successful designing of novel nanomaterials possessing photocatalytic activity, to understand correlation between photocatalyst surface properties and photocatalytic properties or toxicity, and to clarify mechanism of interaction between photocatalyst surface and surrounding environment. The most important topics include:
- Preparation and characterization of novel groups of nano- and microstructures possessing photocatalytic activity;
- Preparation of TiO2/MxOy ordered nanotube arrays by electrochemical method;
- Development of new composite materials containing quantum dots;
- Application of ionic liquids for nano- and microstructure preparation;
- Development of novel nanomaterials for CO2 photo- and photoelectroconversion.
Cooperation with industry is mainly aimed on: (1) implementation of new technology of production of materials modified with metal nanoparticles exhibited antibacterial and antifungal properties, and (2) on design and construction of novel devices for air treatment, disinfection and deodorization. Conducted research could be divided into two main groups, as described below.
- Development of production method of nanosilver composition for polymers modification;
- Development of technology of silver nanoparticles incorporation in polymers thin films;
- Development of technology of silver nanoparticles printing at the surface of paper;
- Development of innovative technology of textiles impregnation with silver and copper nanoparticles by applying nanoparticles impregnation step during laundry service
- Design, build and test a prototype of a photocatalytic set-up for removal of volatile organic and inorganic contamination as well as microorganisms from automobile air conditioning systems
- Design, build and test prototypes of a modular system for removal of dust, VOCs, inorganic contaminates and microorganisms from air streams emitted from wastewater treatment plants, solid waste dumping sites and from urban air.