The Department of Business Informatics of the University of Gdansk is conducting intensive teaching and research activities in a few areas:
- Business processes modeling
- Data-driven business model development
- Agile project management
- Technology adoption and acceptance
- Big data
- Cloud computing
- Blockchain in Supply Chain Management
- Smart cities
The Department is active internationally, organizing conferences including the 10th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS 2002), The 7th International Conference on Perspectives in Business Informatics Research (BIR 2008), The 8th International Conference on European Distance and E-learning Network (EDEN 2009) and 24th Conference on Advance Information Systems Engineering (CAiSE 2012). Moreover, Department of Business Informatics is a host for annually organized Eurosymposium on Digital Transformation - http://eurosymposium.eu.
Department of Business Informatics has been participated in several scientific projects. They include World IT Project, which includes one of the largest survey regarding IT use in the world. World IT project, coordinated by University of North Carolina – in cooperation with teams from different universities world-wide. The survey on IT in Polish enterprises in respect of IT occupational culture (ITOC) has been conducted with funding grant of energy producer Energa. The results are going to be published in numerous research papers.
The Department is involved in the following international research initiatives:
- Polish Chapter of Association for Information Systems – PLAIS was awarded four times by AIS as the outstanding chapter – in 2014, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2021. The Department of Business Informatics established a Polish Chapter of AIS – PLAIS that was established in 2006.
- The Annual International Conference on Perspectives in Business Informatics Research – BIR.
- NTIE (Naukowe Towarzystwo Informatyki Ekonomicznej) – Polish Society for Business Informatics Research.
- European Research Center for Information Systems (ERCIS) consortium.
- Microsoft: ASP .NET, Xamarin, Azure, CRM, SQL Server
- Front-end frameworks: Vue, Angular, React
- Hybrid applications: React Native, Ionic
- Native mobile applications: Android